HALI has organized several highly interesting and special events in Italy 5-11 February 2023 to precede the two-day colloquium and expert conference “Kerman Carpets of the Safavid Period (1501-1736)” 10-11 February in Genoa.
A week of talks, museum visits and exhibitions will focus on important carpets and artworks in collections in Florence, Milan and Turin. At the end of the week the attendees will have the opportunity to visit the exhibition “The Magnificent Sanguszko Carpets” and two days of lectures at the colloquium “Kerman Carpets of the Safavid Period (1501-1736)” in Genoa.
Program and events
Sunday, 5 February, Florence
- 11:00 Museo Nazionale del Bargello. A visit to the Islamic Galleries.
Monday, 6 February, Florence
- 11:00 A guided tour of the two separate Bardini Collections in Florence by Alberto Boralevi
- 16:00 Alberto Boralevi Gallery – Exhibition of Pile Rugs and Kilim Fragments
Tuesday, 7 February, Milan
- 11:00 – 12:30 Museo Poldi Pezzoli. ‘The Darius of the World Qazvin Tiger carpet’ discussed by Michael Franses
- 15:00-18:00 Anatolian Rugs from the Ottoman Empire, Mirco Cattai. Including a lecture by Stefano Ionescu
- 18:00-21:00 Sacro Concreto, Outstanding Prayer Rugs from the Islamic World Galleria Moshe Tabibnia
Wednesday, 8 February, Milan
- 12:00 – 15:00 Sixty Masterpieces of Anatolian Tapestries 1600-1800 organised by Ziya Bozoglu
- 18:00 – 21:00 From Eurasia with Love – Antique Tribal Textile Art from Persia and the Transcaucasus, Alberto Levi Gallery
- 18:00 -21:00 ‘Ancient Stars, Visions from Anatolia to the Caucasus’, David Sorgato Gallery
Thursday, 9 February, Turin
- Independent travel. Relevant exhibitions include MAO Museum of Asian Art, Museo Egizio, Castello di Rivoli.
Colloquium Kerman Carpets of the Safavid Period (1501-1736), Palazzo Rosso, Genoa 10-11 February 2023
Friday, 10 February Genoa 09:00-13:15
- Introduction to First Day Sessions, Chair: Claus Peter Haase, Berlin and Hamburg
- The Sanguszko Carpets, Michael Franses, Florence
- The Technique of Carpets Attributed to Kerman, Anna Beselin, Berlin
- Some Shaped Kerman carpets in Persia, Turaj Zhuleh, Tehran
- Kerman as a Centre of Art Production: Historiography, Material Indices & Legacies of Attribution, Sarah Molina, Cambridge
- Wool trade, Kerman as an economic nexus, Rudi Matthee, Delaware
- Afternoon: Guided Tours of The Magnificent Sanguszko Exhibition with curator Michael Franses
Saturday, 11 February Genoa 09:00-13:15
- Introduction to Second Day Sessions, Chair: Stefan Weber, Berlin.
- Colour in Persian Art, William Robinson, London
- Saz Leaves and Flowers, Filiz Çakır Phillip, ZOOM, Denmark
- The Kirman carpets: some iconographic puzzles, Robert Hillenbrand, Edinburgh and Oxford
- Depictions of Carpets in Paintings and Drawings leaf, Moya Carey, Dublin
- Strapwork Designs in Sanguszko Carpets, Architecture & Ceramics, Fuchsia Hart, Oxford
- Reflections & Conclusions Vera-Simone Schulz
More information and registration: The Hali Colloquium in Italy: Florence, Milan, Turin and Genoa 5-11 February 2023