The David Collection in Copenhagen re-opened in May 2009 after 3 years of rebuilding and refurbishing the two buildings – Kronprinsessegade 30 and 32, owned by the C. L. David Foundation.
The David Collection was established in 1945 by Christian Ludvig David (1878-1960) and housed in David’s former residence, facing the Royal Gardens in Copenhagen.
The museum’s collections include the Collection of European 18th-Century Art, the Collection of Danish Early Modern Art and the Collection of Islamic Art.
The Collection of Islamic Art is the museum’s largest collection and has grown a lot over the past 50 years. From its start as a small but fine selection of medieval ceramics, it has become Scandinavia’s largest collection of Islamic art and probably one of the most important in Europe.
Some 1400 Islamic works of art and c. 350 coins are displayed on the top two floors of both buildings. They are presented in 20 sections divided chronologically – geographically, guiding the visitor through 1200 years of art history. Three special galleries concentrate on Islamic miniatures, calligraphy, and textiles.
Admission to the David Collection is free.
Location and more information: The David Collection, Kronprinsessegade 30-32, Copenhagen