Symposium on Azerbaijani Carpets in Baku
The Academic Programme for the 5th International Symposium on Azerbaijani Carpets (ISAC Baku), 17-20 October 2017, will cover a broad range of aspects of carpet studies. Not only related to carpets from Azerbaijan like but also comparisons with carpets from other regions, as well as other topics connected to textile arts. Registration is free and open until Monday 9 October 2017.
Over 60 speakers and poster session participants are confirmed. A third of these are from Azerbaijan and the remainder from USA, Austria, Israel, Lebanon, Russia, Uzbekistan, Turkey, UK, Italy, France, India. Georgia, Germany, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Estonia.
ISAC Baku schedule and highlights
- Tuesday 17 October – Guest arrival and registration. Entry to most Baku museums is free for ISAC delegates.
- Wednesday 18 October – The official opening ceremony will be held in the morning at the Mugham Center opposite the Azerbaijan Carpet Museum (AZCM). After welcoming remarks by the Minister of Culture and Tourism, Abulfas Garayev and the Azerbaijani Authorities, three opening keynote lectures will be delivered by Shirin Melikova (Director AZCM), Wendel Swan (ICOC Executive Committee Chair) and Michael Franses who will present a new book, Stars of the Caucasus: Silk Embroideries from Azerbaijan produced by Hali Publications. Regular academic sessions will commence that afternoon.
- Thursday 19 October – Academic dessions continue, including sessions titled Carpet Groups and Attributions, Carpet Representations in Visual Art and Architecture, Collections and Collecting, Azerbaijani Embroideries and a panel session on Restoration and Conservation at Azerbaijan Carpet Museum. Evening reception at Azerkhalcha presenting Vidadi Muradov’s collection.
- Friday 20 October – Academic sessions continue. Closing ceremony at the Mugham Center.
- Saturday 21 October – Sightseeing and satellite events. The HALI Tour: Textile Traditions of Azerbaijan & Georgia begins.
The full ISAC schedule will soon be released on the ISAC website.
More information and registration: ISAC Baku 2017.