The Collection of Islamic art - The David Collection
The textile room in the islamic collection
Members of the Danish Rug Society waiting for
a guided tour. Find more photos at DRS' website
Pile “Mamluk carpet” wool, Egypt, 1st quarter of 16th century
The David Collection in Copenhagen re-opened in May 2009 after 3 years
of rebuilding and refurbishing the two buildings - Kronprinsessegade 30
and 32, owned by the C. L. David Foundation.
The David Collection was established in 1945 by Christian Ludvig David
(1878-1960) and housed in David’s former residence, facing the Royal Gardens in Copenhagen.
The museum's collections include the Collection of European 18th-Century Art,
the Collection of Danish Early Modern Art and the Collection of Islamic Art.
The Collection of Islamic Art is the museum's largest collection and
has grown a lot over the past 50 years. From its start as a small but fine selection of medieval ceramics, it has become Scandinavia’s largest collection of Islamic art
and probably one of the most important in Europe.
Some 1400 Islamic works of art and c. 350 coins are displayed on the top two floors of both buildings. They
are presented in 20 sections divided chronologically - geographically, guiding the visitor through 1200 years of art history. Three special galleries
concentrate on Islamic miniatures, calligraphy, and textiles.
Admission to the David Collection is free.
Location and more information: The David Collection,
Kronprinsessegade 30-32, Copenhagen
Jozan Magazine September 6, 2009